With their new advanced electrophysiology (EP) lab, cardiologists who specialize in abnormal heart rhythms (electrophysiologists) at Research Medical Center can treat atrial fibrillation patients with catheter ablation, a procedure used to correct the parts of the heart that beat abnormally. The new lab features a digital X-ray imaging system with EP Navigator, a new imaging tool used to treat cardiac rhythm disorders. Research Medical Center is the first in the Midwest to combine the new digital X-ray imaging system with the EP Lab’s information system.
Cardiac Catheterization Lab
Research Medical Center’s cardiologists and staff are skilled at a variety of advanced technologies that can be used during cardiac catheterization. We can deliver all of the promising technologies within the cath lab including:
- Intravascular Coronary Ultrasound – allows the cardiologist to examine the characteristics inside the heart artery walls in order to diagnose and treat blockages.
- Stent Placement – Improved technology of stent devices in recent years has made this procedure the treatment of choice for many patients with narrowings in the arteries that deliver blood supply to the heart muscle. A small metal coil is placed in a narrowed artery to hold it open, which helps improve blood flow to your heart. The newest generation of stents release medication over a period of time to slow the rate of renarrowing within the artery.
- Coronary Atherectomy – Occasionally the artery will be narrowed due to hardened plaque buildup causing reduced blood flow to the heart. This procedure uses a high precision burr devise to shave the plaque from the inner artery wall.
- Left Ventricular Assist Devices
Research Medical Center, in conjunction with other Midwest Heart Care facilities in the Kansas City area, has developed a sophisticated imaging network that stores the actual images recorded during cardiac angiography, echocardiography or EKG. Our patients can feel confident that no matter where they are, their heart history is immediately available to our qualified heart care specialists. Other technologies available to our patients include:
- 64-Slice CT (Coronary angiography)
- Biosense Technology
- Cardiac nuclear medicine
- Cardiac Ultrasound
- Chest x-ray
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)