(GBM; Brain Tumor; Malignant Astrocytoma)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Age: over 50 years old
- Ethnicity: Caucasians, Hispanics, Asians
- Having a low-grade brain tumor, which occasionally develops into a higher-grade tumor
- Having one of the following genetic disorders:
- Having had radiotherapy
- Working in the synthetic rubber or petroleum refining industries
- Exposure to vinyl chloride or pesticides
- Having had computed tomography (CT) scans during childhood
- New onset headaches—more than 30% of patients
- New onset seizures—20% to 30% patients
- Progressive cognitive dysfunction—depends on the location of the tumor; problems with vision, language, motor function, or sensation may occur
- Progressive neurological deficits, including weakness
- Personality changes
- Behavioral changes, development of inappropriate behaviors
- Memory loss
- MRS scan
- Electroencephalogram (EEG)
- Radiation treatment is used to further decrease the size of the tumor.
- Chemotherapy is used to increase survival time and quality of life.
- Steroids to suppress swelling, antiseizure medication to suppress seizures, and pain medications are also used.
- Support group
- Psychotherapy and psychiatry
- Pain management
- Hospice care
American Brain Tumor Association http://www.abta.org
National Brain Tumor Society http://www.braintumor.org
Brain Tumor Foundation of Canada http://www.braintumour.ca
Canadian Cancer Society http://www.cancer.ca
Adult brain tumors treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/adultbrain/healthprofessional . Updated May 14, 2013. Accessed June 11, 2013.
Brain tumors. The Merck Manual of Medical Information: Second Home Edition Online website. Available at: http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec06/ch088/ch088b.html . Updated February 2008. Accessed June 11, 2013.
Glioblastoma multiforme. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated June 3, 2013. Accessed June 11, 2013.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD; Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013 -
- Update Date: 06/11/2013 -