|The Trigeminal Nerve|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Other antiseizure medicines (eg, phenytoin , gabapentin , lamotrigine , oxcarbazepine , pregabalin , topiramate )
- Low-dose antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline , clomipramine )
- Muscle relaxer (eg, baclofen )
- Other medicines, such as sumatriptan (Imitrex) injection, lidocaine nasal spray, pimozide (Orap)
- Surgery to remove an artery or tumor that is pressing on the nerve
- Surgery to cut the trigeminal nerve
- Eating soft foods
- Eating food and drinking beverages that are room temperature
- Washing your face with cotton pads and warm water
- If tooth brushing triggers attacks, rinsing your mouth with warm water after eating
- Avoiding or minimizing known triggers (eg, heat, cold, touch)
American Chronic Pain Association http://www.theacpa.org/
American Pain Foundation http://www.painfoundation.org/
The Facial Pain Association http://www.fpa-support.org/
Canada TNA http://www.catna.ca/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/index%5Fe.html/
Chole R, Pati R, Degwekar SS, Bhowate RR. Drug treatment of trigeminal neuralgia: a systematic review of the literature. J Oral Maxillfac Surg . 2007; 65:40-45.
Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment . 44th ed. Mcgraw-Hill; 2005.
Gorgulho A, DeSalles A. Trigeminal neuralgia: impact of radiosurgery on the surgical treatment of trigeminal neuralgia. Surgical Neurology . 2006;66:350-356.
Kalkanis SN, Eskandar EN, Carter BS, Barker FG II. Microvascular decompression surgery in the United States, 1996-2000: mortality rates, morbidity rates, and the effects of hospital and surgeon volumes. Neurosurgery . 2003;52:1251-1261.
NINDS trigeminal neuralgia information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/ . Updated February 2009. Accessed February 13, 2009.
Pollock BE, Ecker RD. A prospective cost-effectiveness study of trigeminal neuralgia surgery. Clin J Pain . 2005;21:317-22.
Trigeminal neuralgia. American Academy of Neurological Surgeons website. Available at: http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Information/Conditions%20and%20Treatments/Trigeminal%20Neuralgia.aspx . Accessed March 10, 2012.
Trigeminal neuralgia. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/ . Updated February 3, 2012. Accessed March 10, 2012.
Viel M. Pregabalin for the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia. Am Fam Physician. 2008;78:808.
11/29/2006 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance : Kanai A, Saito M, Hoka S. Subcutaneous sumatriptan for refractory trigeminal neuralgia. Headache . 2006;46:577-82.
- Reviewer: J. Thomas Megerian, MD, PhD, FAAP
- Review Date: 06/2012 -
- Update Date: 00/60/2012 -