(Replacement, Total Shoulder; Shoulder Joint Replacement; Replacement, Shoulder Joint; Total Shoulder Joint Replacement; Replacement, Total Shoulder Joint)
|A metal joint replaces the injured shoulder joint.|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Shoulder stiffness
- Shoulder instability
- Nerve damage
- Loose shoulder joint
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Blood tests
- X-ray —a test that uses radiation to take a picture of structures inside the body, especially bones
- Computed tomography (CT) scan —a type of x-ray that uses a computer to make pictures of structures inside the shoulder
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan —a test that uses magnetic waves to make pictures of structures inside the shoulder
- Aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, ibuprofen , naproxen )
- Blood-thinning drugs, like warfarin (Coumadin)
- Anti-platelet drugs, like clopidogrel (Plavix)
- Arthritis medicines
Description of the Procedure
Immediately After Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
- Follow your doctor’s instructions for cleaning the incision site and wearing the arm sling.
- Ask your doctor about when it is safe to shower, bathe, or soak in water.
- Ask your doctor about when it is safe to drive.
- Be sure to follow all your doctor’s instructions.
Call Your Doctor
- Shoulder stiffness, pain, or instability
- Problems at the incision site (eg, bleeding)
- Signs of an infections such as fevers or chills
American Academy of Family Physicians http://familydoctor.org/
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://www.aaos.org/
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org/
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org/
Shoulder joint replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00094 . Updated October 2007. Accessed September 29, 2011.
Shoulder replacement surgery: diagnosis, treatment, and recovery. Hospital for Special Surgery website. Available at: http://www.hss.org/conditions%5FShoulder-Replacement-Surgery-Diagnosis-Treatment-Recovery.asp . Updated September 25, 2007. Accessed September 29, 2011.
Total shoulder joint replacement. Cleveland Clinic website. Available at: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/shoulder%5Freplacement/hic%5Ftotal%5Fshoulder%5Fjoint%5Freplacement.aspx . Updated July 21, 2009. Accessed September 29, 2011.
- Reviewer: John C. Keel, MD
- Review Date: 10/2011 -
- Update Date: 12/07/2011 -