The Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Research Medical Center — top oncology care close to home.
Our Kansas City hospital is proud to be part of the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HCA Midwest Health – a network-accredited cancer program. Accredited by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer (CoC) quality program, our cancer center exceeds the national quality care standards set by the CoC and consistently provides excellence in the delivery of comprehensive, patient-centered care.
Our patients and their families have access to world-class, cutting-edge and innovative oncology services right here in their local community. At Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Research Medical Center we offer:
- The support of a world-wide cancer network via the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
- The full range of oncology care comprising of prevention, screening, diagnosis, treatment, wellness and survivorship
- Genetic testing to assess your cancer risk and increase the odds of early detection
- Fast diagnosis to treatment times
- Access to new cancer treatments and clinical trials through our cancer research institute, the Sarah Cannon Research Institute
- Tumor profiling and personalized medicine to target a patient’s unique cancer
- Specialized surgical oncologists who offer the latest minimally-invasive robotic surgery options
- Oncology-trained nurse navigators to walk patients and their families through their cancer journey
- Multi-disciplinary cancer case conferences that connect physicians from across the HCA Midwest Health network to discuss optimal treatment plans. Download the consent form
- A comprehensive cancer wellness program and services through the Center for Integrative Therapy
- A state-of-the-art outpatient facility and a dedicated inpatient oncology unit
- Blood cancer program
- Liver and Pancreas Institute dedicated to the treatment of cancers of the liver and biliary tract
- Breast cancer and breast imaging services
Sarah Cannon at Research Medical Center in Kansas City is renowned for its advanced technologies and resources such as:
- Cutting-edge radiation oncology treatments such as Gamma Knife®, the area’s only treatment for brain tumors
- Image-guided brachytherapy
- Linear accelerators to deliver image-guided intensity modulated radiation therapy
- A 16-slice intra-operative big bore CT scanner
- A 64-slice CT scanner for the clearest images to diagnose and stage tumors for treatment
- Advanced cancer treatments such as Mammosite® for breast cancer
Are you 50 years old or older? Did you smoke a pack a day for over 15 years? If the answer “yes” to both of those questions, consider getting screened for lung cancer.
Research Medical Center Offers Access to Cutting-Edge Therapies
New Treatment for Neuroendocrine Cancer
Access to new and promising treatments can mean renewed hope for cancer patients and their loved ones. Our oncologists and other care team members are committed to staying abreast of the latest developments in the fight against cancer. Along with leading numerous clinical trials each year, our physicians closely follow other new therapy trials conducted around the globe. This can lead to our patients receiving breakthrough treatments, sometimes even before officially approved by the FDA.
Research Medical Center was the first hospital in the Kansas City region to offer lutetium Lu 177 dotatate (Lutathera®), a cutting-edge new therapy for adults with advanced neuroendocrine tumors that affect the pancreas or gastrointestinal tract. Our oncologists were able to bring this revolutionary new treatment to patients prior to approval, and outside of a clinical trial setting, by working with the FDA to grant expanded drug access for patients who could benefit.
For more information about this and other revolutionary new treatment options, talk to your oncologist.
Cancer Wellness Classes
As part of HCA Midwest Health, Research Medical Center offers cancer wellness education classes that are free and designed for both the patient and caregiver. The classes provide simple, evidence based strategies to reduce cancer related side effects and to help you live your best life. Classes are held in a supportive small group format to allow for individual questions and socialization with others who are affected by cancer.
Space is limited so please register.