Mother-Centered Care: Research Medical Center Certified Nurse Midwives
Our Kansas City certified nurse midwives offer a more natural, home-like birthing experience. We are part of the region's largest network of certified nurse-midwives, and were the first Kansas City hospital system to offer midwifery services more than 20 years ago. We also partner with independent nurse midwife practices and independent nurse midwives who occasionally refer high-risk patients for additional obstetrics or perinatal services.
Patients choose Research Medical Center and HCA Midwest Health providers because our nurse midwives are supported by 24-7 obstetric emergency room and obstetric hospitalists care. Research Medical Center has board certified obstetric physicians in-house all day, every day.
Each of our midwives is an advanced practice registered nurse who has been master's-trained and board-certified through the American Midwifery Certification Board. These professionals provide personalized care for women with low-risk pregnancies. They can deliver your baby in a safe, secure environment at an advanced acute-care hospital should any other specialists be needed for Mom or baby.
Certified nurse-midwives can administer medication, perform procedures and provide other technological interventions if needed. They also promote and provide a natural approach to women's care and childbirth. In fact, fewer C-sections and episiotomies are reported in births attended by midwives.
Your Personalized Birthing Experience
Your nurse midwife will work closely with you to make sure your needs and wishes are understood and respected. Your Kansas City midwife will provide:
- Help developing a birth plan unique to you
- Health education and support throughout your pregnancy and even after delivery
- Hands-on care before, during and after your baby’s arrival
- A hospital-based birth with minimal intervention
- The option of an unmedicated birth, an epidural or other pain reduction methods, whenever possible
- Support for you and your family members during labor
- Guidance to help you bond with your baby and to make breastfeeding successful
To learn more about our nurse-midwives or any of our neonatal or women's services, call us at (913) 541-8330.
Meet Our Midwives
Watch the video playlist below to find out more about how our midwives put your needs and wishes first.
Caring Professionals Working Together
Our Kansas City nurse-midwives work with physicians to maintain their knowledge of the latest research in care for women throughout pregnancy and childbirth. They also have the support of board-certified OB/GYN doctors as needed and work with doctors to help women who have had C-sections in the past and want to have a vaginal birth.
A Lifetime of Personalized Care
Our KC midwives don’t only provide mother-centered care. They provide holistic, personalized care for women of all ages—from teenage years through menopause and beyond. Their care includes:
- Annual well-woman pelvic and breast exams
- Continuing gynecologic care
- Family planning and contraceptive counseling, including implant and IUD insertions
- Management of well-being during menopause
Is a Certified Nurse Midwife Right for You?
CNM’s provide prenatal and childbirth care that is both high quality and safe. The advantages of choosing a certified nurse midwife at Research Medical Center include:
- Low rates of c-section
- Physical and emotional support before, during and after the baby’s birth
- Welcome support of family and friends during pregnancy and labor
- Vaginal birth after cesarean section (VBAC)
- Partnership with board-certified doctors to practice evidence-based medicine and maintain up-to-date knowledge regarding relevant research
- Close collaboration with physicians to deliver the highest level of care
- Spacious, updated rooms
- Hydrotherapy tubs where installed
- Thoughtful amenities to keep you comfortable and relaxed
- A family friendly environment
- Certified lactation consultants, breast-feeding education and support group
- Around the clock nursing and OB support
- Access to high-risk specialists
- Doula referral services
- Father-assisted birth
- Postpartum care