A welcoming place for babies who need special care.
Having a baby should be a joyous event — even when your baby needs specialized care and can’t go home right away. At Research Medical Center, our level III neonatal NICU ensures that, if your baby is born early or faces other health challenges, you’ll still be able to bond in a nurturing, loving environment. And all the services and resources of HCA Midwest Health will be within easy reach.
Caring for micro preemies or very premature babies – we also have specialized care for babies weighing as little as one pound 12 ounces (800 grams) or 22 weeks gestation. These babies are born months before their due dates and require highly specialized neonatal intensive care.
Our unit offers one of the highest levels of NICU care. It’s is equipped with the latest technology to support preemies and other babies who need time and care to heal and grow. Just as important, our experienced multidisciplinary NICU team provides highly coordinated, advanced care and includes as many as 175 specialized health care professionals, such as:
- Neonatologists, pediatric doctors who are specially trained and experienced in caring for ill and premature infants
- Neonatal nurse practitioners with advanced degrees and training in caring for high-risk newborns
- Registered nurses experienced in neonatal intensive care
- Respiratory therapists to help babies whose lungs may not be fully developed
- Social workers who specialize in supporting you and your babies needs during their NICU stay and transition home
- Breastfeeding support and guidance to make sure your baby gets the vital nutrients and nurturing that only you can provide. Our lactation consultants are trained to help even the most premature babies receive mother’s breastmilk
This highly trained and coordinated team goes beyond advanced lifesaving urgent care, also focusing on developmental issues such as muscle control and feeding capability. And the team is backed up by all the resources of HCA Midwest Health, such as:
- Dietician specialized in neonatal nutrition needs
- Speech, physical and occupational therapy
- Radiology and other imaging services
- Surgical services
- Laboratory testing
- Clinical and personal support
- “Rooming-in” when the time is right
Our NICU features “rooming-in” rooms, specially designed for parents who need to be with their newborn full-time or who are ready to fully care for their baby. Rooming in can help you and your baby bond and prepare for life outside the hospital.
If your baby needs a higher level of NICU
If your baby is born anywhere in the 13-county region and needs to be moved to a higher-level NICU care within HCA Midwest Health, our neonatal transport team has the specialized staff and equipment to ensure a safe trip. If needed, the team can also transport mothers who still need hospital care, so they can be near their babies.
To find out more about our level III NICU and any of our other services for women and newborns, call us at (816) 276-3206.