Second Opinion Physician Panel
Sarah Cannon at Research Medical Center offers comprehensive prostate cancer care with a dedicated multi-specialty team.
Making the appointment
Call (816) 276-4700 and ask for Prostate Health Second Opinion Appointment.
- Oncology trained clinic nurses walk each patient through their cancer journey
- Access to national clinical research trials and leading-edge therapies
- 1:1 time with oncologists and other care givers who are among the best in the region for prostate health
Once you’ve made the decision to take action, Sarah Cannon at Research Medical Center makes it simple.
During the evaluation, what to expect:
- A review of your medical history, test results and notes from your referring physician and any other specialists who have made recommendations about your care path
- A comprehensive physical examination
- An in-depth conversation about any symptoms you may be experiencing, such as incontinence, voiding dysfunctions or erectile dysfunction (ED)
- A discussion of your everyday activities and treatment expectations
To offer our second opinion regarding your prostate cancer diagnosis, we may perform a blood test to detect prostate-specific antigens or a biopsy. Most tests are noninvasive or minimally invasive and performed on an outpatient basis. This will depend on the prostate-specific blood test results you may already have.
After carefully reviewing your symptoms and other health conditions, the Second Opinion Physician Panel will develop a personalized treatment plan, describe their recommended treatment options in detail and answer all your questions.
If I continue my care at Sarah Cannon, who will care for me?
The Second Opinion Physician Panel will talk with you and make recommendations for your continued care - where ever you choose to continue your treatment. Your team of specialists will include some or all of the physicians in areas such as:
- Genitourinary Specialist (urologist physician who is a cancer specialist)
- Medical Oncologists
- Radiation Oncologists
- Surgical Oncologists
- Radiologists / Imaging Technologists
- Patients would be referred to a urologist when necessary
They work together to provide a second opinion about comprehensive, patient-centered prostate cancer care. If you so choose, the same team will continue to care for you.
What makes Sarah Cannon specialized in prostate cancer care?
We specialize in minimally invasive treatments for prostate cancer such as:
- Laparoscopic prostatectomy: The prostate is removed with a miniature telescopic instrument, which allows for a quicker recovery
- Robotic surgery: This breakthrough technology, which often is used for prostatectomy surgery, requires only a few small incisions
- Surgeons trained in the latest da Vinci XI robotic surgical techniques
- Offer targeted external beam and brachytherapy to more precisely treat and stage the cancer
- Region’s only board certified brachytherapy prostate cancer radiologist specialize in radio embolization treatments (selective internal radiation therapy), as well as chemo-embolization and radiofrequency ablation (RFA).
We place a high priority on sparing the nerves and tissue around the prostate whenever possible. This approach helps to decrease side effects that can affect a patient's quality of life, such as erectile dysfunction, incontinence or other urinary-tract symptoms.